Nature Inspired Computing and Engineering, University of Surrey
- 11.06.2013: Prof Kay Chen Tan, National University of Singapore, a Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE CIS, has visited Surrey and gave a lecture on "Advances in Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization"
- 16.11.2012: Prof Yaochu Jin was appointed Distinguished Lecturer of the IEEE CIS Distinguished Lecturer Program for 3 year term (2013-2015)
- 12.10.2012: Dr Chaoli Sun from Taiyuan University of Science and Technology arrived today and will be with us for 6 months. Welcome!
- 09.10.2012: Prof Jun Wang from Chinese University of Hong Kong visited Surrey and gave a talk at the NICE seminar on "The State of the Art of Multiple-winners-take-all Networks: Formulations, Models, and Applications".
- 09.09.2012: Two PhD students, Wissam Albukhanajer and Spencer Thomas from the NICE Group of the Computing Department have received full financial support (including international travels, accommodation and meals) to attend the Sao Paulo School of Advanced Science on e-Science for Bioenergy Research (SPSAS e-SciBioenergy) to be held from October 22nd to October 26th, 2012 at the Brazilian Bioethanol Science and Technology Laboratory (CTBE), located at the Brazilian Center of Research in Energy and Materials (CNPEM) in Campinas, Brazil.
Congratulations to Wissam and Spencer!
- 09.09.2012: Shenkai Gu and Yaochu Jin have attended the UKCI 2012 held from 5th-7th September, 2012 at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh. Shenkai gave a presentation on his recent work on heterogeneous ensembles for EEG data classification. UKCI 2013
is going to be chaired by Prof Yaochu Jin and held from 9th-11th September 2013 at University of Surrey.
- 28.08.2012: Prof Bernhard Sendhoff, President of Honda Research Institute Europe, has given a seminar on "
Evolvable Systems Engineering" at the NICE seminar series
- 21.08.2012: Prof Hide Sasaki from Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan has gievn a seminar on "An Analysis of the Ant Swarm Behaviour for Quarum Sensing: A New Direction for Bio-inspired Computing in Optimization" at the NICE seminar series.
- 19.08.2012: Invited by Prof Kaisa Miettinen, President of International Society of Multiple Criterion Decision-Making, Vice Rector of University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, Prof Yaochu Jin gave a course on "Evolutionary optimisation of expensive problems" at the 22nd Jyvaskyla Summer School, University of Jyvaskyla, Findland, 13-17 August 2012
- 20.06.2012: Prof Roberto Tagliaferri from University of Salerno, Italy visited NICE Group from 18.06 to 19.06. He gave a talk on "The Interactive Metaclustering and Visualization Approach for Clustering and Visualization of the Genomic Data"
- 16.06.2012: Prof Jin attended WCCI 2012 in Brisbane from
10.06 to 15.06. Three papers from the NICE group were presented at the conference
- 16.06.2012: Prof Jin visited Nanyang Technological University, Singapore from 31.05 to 07.06. He also gave a talk at National University of Singapore during his visit
- 26.05.2012: Prof Jin was invited to give a Keynote speech
at the 10th Workshop on Bioinformatics
5th Symposium of the Polish Bioinformatics Society,
25 ¨C 27 May 2012, Gda¨˝sk, Poland
- 21.05.2012: Prof Jin delivered an invited talk at Biology + Computing = ??, Joint Meeting of the CSE:SEABIS Group and the ModAbs Group, Sponsored by SICSA, May 21 2012, University of Stirling, UK
- 15.05.2012: The 2012 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Computational Biology has successfully been held in San Diego, May 9-12, 2012. Three members from the NICE group, Spencer Thomas, Dr Jonathan Clark and Prof Yaochu Jin presented their research work at the Symposium. More than 80 participants attended and Prof Jin was the General Chair. The sessions were held on two cruise ships of the Hotel Catamaran, Bahia Belle and William D. Evans. Dr David Fogel, former President of IEEE CIS and Founding Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation played piano at the conference banquet
- 03.05.2012: A picture of the NICE group was recently taken, together with Alan Turing.
- 28.03.2012: Dr Sohrab Saeb joined the NICE group. Sohrab will work on the influence of selection pressure on neural development.
- 27.03.2012: Congratulations to Wissam on successfully passing the PhD confirmation viva!
- 25.03.2012: Mohd Hanif Yusoff recently joined us. Mohd will work on creativity and neural connectivity.
- 05.03.2012: Ricardo Cerri, a PhD student from USP, Brasil, joined the NICE group recently. Ricardo is a PhD student at USP, Brasil. He will stay at Surrey from March to August. Ricardo will work on evolutionary methods for generating hierarchical and multi-label classifiers.
- 22.02.2012: Three papers by our members have recently been accepted for publication at 2012 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2012 Joint Conference on Neural Networks, and 2012 IEEE
Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. Congratulations to Spencer, Joe and Wissam!
- 04.01.2012: Ayang Xiao recently joined NICE as visiting PhD student. Ayang is a PhD tudent at the Harbin Institute of Technology, China. He will be with us from January to December 2012, working on evolutionary optimisation of micro satellites.
- 10.10.2011: The first NICE party was held on 9th October 2011.